Climate-Neutral and Sustainable Smart Cities
According to the UN World Population Report, by 2050 about 70% of the world’s population will live in cities. Despite many positive aspects, urbanisation can also have a negative impact on citizens’ health and the environment. Studies show that cities account for more than 70% of global carbon emissions. With the global adoption of the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable, cities are encouraged to make better use of information and communication technology (ICT) to address urban challenges.
CLIMATE-NEUTRAL AND SUSTAINABLE SMART CITIES
The Digital for Planet Climate-Neutral and Sustainable Smart Cities Working Group aims to address the technological aspects of building smart cities. The goal is to provide sustainable and integrated solutions to reach the European climate and energy goals.
Analysing, connecting, and participating in programmes to innovate cities’ ICT infrastructure towards climate neutrality and sustainability.
Scouting, investigating, and proposing models, standards, and ICT infrastructure solutions covering use cases in urban intelligence and sustainability.
Assessing, discussing, developing, and proposing approaches and guidelines for policy development concerning urban carbon emissions and city environmental footprint.
Identifying and studying policy-driven and regulatory frameworks for sustainable smart cities, aiming to create liaisons with relevant stakeholders.
Why join the Climate-Neutral and Sustainable Smart Cities Working Group?
- Contribute to shaping sustainable digital solutions to lower carbon emissions and mitigate the impact of climate change in our cities and communities.
- Discuss and develop new proposal ideas and projects to advance climate neutrality in urban environments.
- Accelerate research and innovation priorities of EU policies.
- Get the latest insights on available and upcoming EU funding opportunities.
- Extend your scientific network and build quality partnerships with experts and stakeholders from a diverse set of key disciplines and initiatives.
- Promote your outcomes, technologies, and know-how.
Who can participate?
Representatives from organisations that are part of the Digital for Planet community and who are interested in advancing sustainable digital innovation for smart cities and communities.
Interested in contributing to this Working Group? Learn how to become a member of Digital for Planet and get involved!